Saturday, March 13, 2010

My Saturday

It has been a totally weird day. I didn’t start out that way but it turned strange pretty rapidly when I went to the local Verizon store to return a broken telephone holster.

First of all, they had no customers in the front of the store but plenty of help standing around. I was directed to customer service where there were several customers but only one person helping. Typical I suppose.

After standing there for what seemed forever, someone finally came back and started listing customers so we could be called in the order we had gotten in line. This was after one other person finally came back to help and called someone forward who had not been there as long as some others. To say that annoyed me (and the others) is a gross understatement.

To make matters even worse (if they could be) some old guy wearing Nikes, white socks, a velour top, and way-too-short baggy knit shorts with extremely wide legs was sitting on an office chair waiting his turn in line. He kept turning and every time he swiveled his chair, his shorts rode up even higher. Every time I averted my eyes, he seemed to move into my line of sight again. Boy, some things do not get better with age and what I saw today affirmed that in spades!

I finally went up front and asked why they couldn’t just change the broken holster out and let me go. It was after 2 p.m., I had not had breakfast or lunch, so was not only crabby, but hungry and crabby, a deadly combination! I was informed I had to go through customer service but I think the muttering I did moved me up a little.

The supervisor-type I was grumbling to called me forward in a few minutes. With Murphy’s Law in full force, I got the new person who had no clue how to do anything. Instead of asking for help, she stood there with the broken holster, looking around as though she had never been in the store before. Since she made no effort to, I had to aggravate the supervisor again to ask if they even had the item in stock. Of course they didn’t!

Okay, now a simple refund. Not! She gazed at the cash register as if it was a strange creature that was about to take her hand off at the wrist. By the time she figured out which buttons to push, the telephone rang. She couldn’t let someone else answer it. No, it had to be her and she promptly engaged in a conversation with an unseen customer. I tried politely to get her attention and she was so wrapped up in the conversation and staring at the register that she didn’t seem to hear me.

It was at that point I probably won “Bitchy Customer of the Month” title. I spoke loudly enough she could not ignore me and said, “Miss, put your call on hold and finish processing my transaction!” She mumbled something I could not hear but put the phone down and finished quickly.

Moral: Do not mess with old women. Especially, tired hungry old women who are already p***ed off. It won't be pretty!

No comments: