Saturday, April 17, 2010

Still no car!

It's been three weeks since my wreck and my car is still not ready. Argh! The rental is okay but I prefer my own. I've had the repair check in hand for two weeks. At this rate, it may be obsolete by the time I give it to the body shop.

Recalling the accident made me remember a funny "reaction." It bordered on the absurd except to the person who did it.

The other party in the wreck was an attractive, trim late fortyish lady. And she was really a classy lady. You know, one of those people who comes from old money and has real class, not the affected kind that frequently comes with new money. She was very concerned about me, not about the cars at all.

The funny thing came when a guy, probably late 50s (or more) stopped and rushed over to her gushing and carrying on like a flustered schoolboy. (If he was trying to make Brownie points with her, it did not work!) After a few minutes, he turned to me and snapped abruptly, "You need to move your car!"

This old lady smiled sweetly and said, "I can't. I tried," with emphasis on the tried. I guess he thought about how it looked and asked if I would like him to move it. I just tossed him the keys and said, "If you like." He did get it moved but he really had to wrestle with that heavily damaged suspension. It was like the car weighed two tons and had no power steering. Of course, I did the southern thing and thanked him so sweetly butter wouldn't have melted in my mouth.

As for him, I wish he knew how ridiculous he looked. With that bad rug, all he had going for him was the cute little dog that kept trying to climb out of his open vehicle window while he was fawning over the lady!

No comments: