Friday, July 2, 2010

What?

I've been flipping through one of those "modern" parent magazines. Albeit, there are some good ideas in it but I'm still shaking my head at some of the suggestions. One said to "encourage the effort instead of praising the deed." Sounds kind of okay until you read the example of praising a child for showing self control and not arguing with the parent.

Whatever happened to excercising the right to forbid your kid from talking back to you? You know ~ the old 'I'm your Mom/Dad and you do not sass/backtalk/ smart off at me.'

Another was to reward your child with a trip to the ice cream/shop when s/he is complimented on his/her behavior by someone else. Please! Why should you reward a kid for behaving in public? No wonder so many of them are confused!

No comments: