Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Making mountains out of "mole" hills

Well, we did have a nice break in the weather for a couple of days, at least. The girls and I basked in the sun over the weekend, in between breathing treatments for them and a doc visit for me for the sinus infection/bronchitis combo. Good thing, too, since today is chilly & they're predicting a possible "wintry mix" tomorrow!

One quirk in the sun worshipping: Roo and Little Bit were in the backyard getting off the trampoline when Roo began yelping and jumping around, saying "Eew, eew, eew!!! Argh!" or something to that effect. Not to be gross, but I thought she had stepped in a gift one of the dogs left for us. I try to keep the yard as poop-free as possible, but it can be a challenge. When I asked if that was the case, she yelled, "No, it's an animal!" Approaching apprehensively and silently cursing my poor hardworking husband for being at the office on a Saturday, I saw what she meant. It was a dead mole, actually a big larger than I would have thought. No mistaking the large hands and critter-like appearance, though. It looked intact, so my guess is it probably froze to death during the cold weather.

After a proper burial (um, slinging it into the woods with a shovel), I reflected that we can probably safely cross off any ambitions for a Bindi Irwin-like career for Roo. That is, unless Bindi makes her mom Lysol her "mole shoes" before she'll wear them again, too.

No comments: