Sunday, June 13, 2010

My "secret" hotdog recipe

I may have posted this recipe at some point but it's worth sharing again. I've been preparing hotdogs this way since my children were small (a really, really long time ago) and it's still a favorite with them on the rare occasion I get around to doing it now. I promise you will not want them any other way once you've eaten them this way. It's absolutely addictive! And easy! Even better, everything can be prepared ahead of time and simmered when you are ready for them. NOTE: It is essential to toast the buns just before using. Not only does it improve the flavor immensely, it keeps the bread from becoming soggy before it is eaten.

HOT DOGS DELICIOUS

1/2 c. chopped onion
1 T. butter
1-1/4 c. catsup [14-oz. bottle]
2 T. sweet pickle relish
1 T. vinegar
1 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
Dash of black pepper
1 lb. hot dogs
Toasted Buns

Sauté onion in butter. Stir in catsup, relish, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Score hotdogs, add to sauce, and simmer 10 minutes. Serve on hot, toasted buns.

No comments: