Monday, June 21, 2010

Was it my breath?

Son #1 and I decided to have Sunday brunch at Amuse! yesterday, a French restaurant in Midtown. It was okay but not nearly as good as it's touted to be. The experience wound up being pretty funny though when it turned into another of our slightly strange adventures. (He and I seem to attract weird people and/or find ourselves in odd situations way too often!)

Our reservations were at 11:30 a.m., their opening time, and apparently we were our server's first table. She was cute as could be, laughing and relaxed, and very pleasant overall. She took out drink orders, returned with them, took our food order, and stopped by again to see if everything was okay while we were waiting for the food. Different servers and management types drift by all the time to refill glasses, etc. so we didn't think much about it when someone else brought our food.

As the meal progressed, we were talking, catching up on things, and I didn't think too much about her lack of presence for a while. We had requested something to follow our meal when we placed the original order but when we were about finished, she still hadn't reappeared to see if we were ready for that dish. I looked around but didn't see her anywhere. I had a very clear view of the restaurant from my seat, including the service area; however, she remained invisible. She seemed to have simply vanished into thin air. We stopped another server to complete our order and I asked what happened to ours. I was told, "She quit." Just like that. No other explanation, just two words. The server we had been dumped onto was a little harried so we didn't pursue the inquiry. Things like this seem par for the course for him and/or me way too often. Keeps life interesting though, lol.

I still have no idea what happened. I know I brushed and flossed beforehand, even used deodorant, and I'm pretty sure he did also. When we ordered, I asked the difference betweem a Croque Madame and a Croque Monsieur. When she explained the only difference was that a Croque Madame had a cooked egg on top. Of course, my son had to explain that the egg on top, represented ovaries, thus the feminine title! Not sure if he was joking, reasoning it out, or actually knew this for a fact but she laughed and said it was a good tip to remember. I don't think that would have caused her to leave less than 15 minutes into her shift but who knows?

No comments: