Monday, March 16, 2009

R.I.P., Florida and Fayda

Well, two of our three goldfish kicked the bucket within 24 hours of each other. Only the third, Breda, survives.

I have to say, they have lived much longer than most goldfish I've seen...over a year. The girls were sad, but I think it was a good lesson in death. Two of our dogs have died in the last year and a half, but that was different. With the fish, I let Roo hold the bodies and we buried them ourselves, drawing a picture and decorating with rocks, then saying a little prayer.

When the second fish was doing poorly this morning, I turned off the aquarium light and told the girls he didn't feel well and we needed to give him some peace. Since Roo had a dental checkup this morning, I got preoccupied with getting her ready, only to find Little Bit dumping Lucky Charms (purchased for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow) into the tank to "make da fish feew better!" I never knew those little marshamallows dissolved so quickly.....

Funny moment: when the girls' other grandmother was on the phone with Roo, she said that the fish were in heaven now. Roo said, "No, Me-me, they're not in heaven yet! They're in a Ziplock bag in the refrigerator!"

No comments: