Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back from the beach

Well, we're home and getting settled in. God answered my prayers and both girls were well for the vacation. No promises for after, though...my throat has been sore beginning the day we left and I'm coughing up some nasty stuff. I think that's mostly sinus drainage, though, or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The trip was good, the girls enjoyed it and Roo stayed in either the beach or the ocean essentially the entire time. Little Bit loved the ocean, but shied away from the pool except the first evening. DH thinks that since the water was really chilly in the pool while she was in it (the little pool) that she was hesitant to get back in again. She was very homesick, though, and more than ready to come home unless one of us was distracting her. She missed her pups terribly, and kept saying "I weddy to go home, see Ooby (Ruby) and Bear." Her hair got snarled pretty badly from the salt water, and we had to make a trip to the hairdressers when we got back yesterday for a rather grueling "detangling" session. She was pretty good for it, except the last five minutes when she tried to bolt.

We drained our vacation fund, but it was worth it. We've been saving for several months, even before the layoff, and needed a getaway very badly. Actually not too terribly expensive, since we shared the condo expense with the in-laws.

Some depressing news from the Mom-front: apparently the Piedmont Park conservancy deemed it necessary to remove the ducks and geese from the park this week. They were catching and loading them up in little cages yesterday to relocate them to "public and private ponds," whatever that means. The reason? They poop. I mean, c'mon, give me a break. I can't imagine they've had that many complaints about this. It's never been a mess when I've visited there, and anyway what do you expect when you have a huge pond in the middle of a park? Just crazy, and it made me feel sick to my stomach, thinking of those that might not make the trip and how confused and stressed out they must be. Why do humans have to screw up so many things?

No comments: