Sunday, August 24, 2008

Back in the Fold

I jotted down some blog notes when I was in the first workshop, before my foray to the pier yielded the disastrous results I described earlier. It may be a little repetitious but I’m going to post it anyway because I thought enough of it to write it down in longhand, no less.

I even noted that I was surprising myself because usually in a place like this, I tend to look for places to shop but this time I just wanted to walk out on the pier and stroll around casually. (Would have fared better if I had stuck to shopping.)

Rain had let up a bit when I started over to the conference center the first afternoon but promptly started pouring down once again. What can I say? I create my own turbulence.

The next morning (still raining) they had the usual wonderful food but I was good and stuck with my protein bar, sans the wine. Just Diet Coke this time.

The workshop was dull. The facilitator from Atlanta couldn't’t make it so we wound up in nine-person groups instead. This, like many others, turned into a three-way conversation with everyone else being shut out. Since I wasn't among the elite three, at least I could sleep with my eyes open.

I do like to attend some of these functions though. I was originally appointed as a member of the Regional Development Center board. They in turn appointed me to Workforce Investment Act services board (our host this weekend), and to the Altamaha Area Agency on Aging board. I wound up as chairman of our 17-county area just as if I knew what I was doing. I particularly enjoy AAAA meetings because I’m usually the youngest one there.

Another huge breakfast buffet this morning but when I walked in and smelled the food, I made quick u-turn right out of there so I wouldn’t ruin everyone else’s breakfast! Filled out my trip sheet, skipped the morning meeting, and headed for home.

Just one tiny little problem though. This whole thing has left me more scattered than usual and I managed to leave several pieces of my nicest clothes hanging in the closet. I conscientiously checked the room 3-4 times but for some reason, I never opened the closet door. To add to it, I didn’t miss them until I had been home over two hours.

Thank goodness the hotel has promised to ship them tomorrow. I’m guessing I’m not the only one who has left things before but may be among the few who left a whole closet full.

No comments: