Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My Mom: Devoted Grandmother, Librarian...Hottie??

First of all, let me say that I am completely thrilled at my mother's newfound joie de'vivre. I could not be happier that she has found her "groove" and is truly happy, something I have never seen her be. I must confess, though, that I have spent the past few months in a bemused "suspension of disbelief." It's as though some alien (albeit a bawdy, spontaneous, wine-drinking one) has invaded her body and is in no hurry to leave. She's dating and chatting online and on her cell phone constantly, but it's like a part of me still expects her old, more pensive self to return and kick the new one to the curb. As she tells me, however, this "new" self is not new at all. It's who she has always been, the one that has been buried beneath years of other's expectations and some of the harsh dirt that life has thrown her way.

As she noted before (thanks, Mom), it doesn't seem fair that she's getting sexier and I'm just getting frumpier and, well, older. *sigh* Oh, well. I'll just chalk it up to the precious under-five, active, gray-hair-creating beings to whom my husband and I gave life. That's my story and I'm sticking to it, anyway. Who knows? Maybe one day if I'm lucky enough to make it to 60, I'll pull some tricks out of my "Red Hat" to shock them, too!

No comments: