Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Shocking my children

The last 6 months have been break out time for me. I've discovered I'm definitely not over the hill and, while my children have been more than mildly amused at this, they're still a little shocked too. My daughter says it isn't fair that I'm getting sexier and she's getting frumpier. Not that she's frumpy at all but running after two very active little girls tends to wear on you a bit after a while. She and my son-in-law are enjoying my new life vicariously and support me enthusiastically (or so they say).

Perhaps what I've enjoyed most is seeing them turn my music down and my son admonishing me "don't drive your little red car too fast." That sounds like a blast from the past. Talk about coming full circle!

I’m making changes in my life many are afraid of as they get older but it’s making me feel better (and happier) than ever. My house is on the market and I’m disposing of everything in it too. And I'm not sure yet where I'm even going! Instead of fear and/or dread though I’m excited and looking forward to finding new vistas.

My butterflies (possessions) seem to have turned into caterpillars and I don't want to keep any of them. I will relocate ASAP (another giant step) but am not sure exactly where yet. If everything sells today, I honestly have no idea where I will land but it will be on my feet in a new place, looking for more adventure. (It's definitely looking like Atlanta right now, but who knows?) Wherever it is, it has to be a place where others enjoy living too. SPQ Jill Conner Browne said it best: "We don't get too old to play—we get old when we quit playing." And I’ve only just begun. (Now to learn what Keith Urban means when he sings "You Look Good in my Shirt.")

No comments: