Friday, February 13, 2009

An Unholy Alliance?

I'm not sure but I think Mr. Murphy of Murphy's Law fame must have formed an alliance with the devil. Just when I thought everything was finally running smoothly too.

The January gas bill for my house in McRae was a real shocker. It was $212.77, with $173.33 for actual gas consumption! (The rest was fees, taxes, etc.) When the place is unoccupied, I keep the thermostat on 55 so the heat should not have been running excessively. Considering I've spent 2-1/2 days there since I moved, this seems a bit high even for a cutthroat utility company.

When I finally got through to a live person this morning, she checked the bill and said my usage for January was higher than usual. As though I couldn't check that my own self! She promised to have the meter re-read but at this point, I'm certainly not expecting miracles.

I was forced to pay that $326 water bill and now this! On that topic though, the editor did run my editorial blasting the city and certain officials this week. I've already gotten phone call and email feedback, all positive.

No comments: