Saturday, November 28, 2009

English Journal Installment 15


Despite the chilly spring weather, spring flowers were beginning to bloom in this memorial garden on the grounds of All Saints Church in Chelmsford last March.


Sweet-smelling Eccles Cakes fresh from the oven provide great accompaniments to a fresh pot of tea or coffee.






Excerpts from an English Journal, Part 15

March 25: My last day here! These past three weeks have slipped by so quickly it’s as though the days were on wings. I’ve been sleeping well while I’ve been here but was restless last night. I think it’s because I’m feeling really sad about leaving. I had no idea I would feel this way but it’s such a lovely place and I’ve felt so welcome that I’m missing it already. There’s also lots more places I’d like to see but my time here has almost run out.

The day has started off bright and sunny, as have most days I’ve been here but rain is predicted for later. I got a kick out of the way BBC2 predicted “scattered lusty showers” this morning. Typically British and very funny.

For a change, I didn’t feel hungry but did manage a Diet Coke and part of a protein bar. Not a bad thing considering the way I’ve been eating since I’ve been here. In fact, I’m pretty sure my tummy appreciates a reprieve, however short that may be.

Richard ate a hearty breakfast though and is out delivering Easter cards for the church. I’m about to sort things out for packing and double-checking to be sure my suitcases aren’t overweight. His friend Derek is coming over for tea later and we’ve promised to drop by to see Julie, Ian and the children after we’ve had dinner this evening. That’s probably all the excitement I can stand for today.

Later: The card “deliveryman” is back. It took a full hour for him to deliver about half of the 117 cards he volunteered for so he will finish the rest tomorrow after he takes me to the airport. He says he takes on extra cards because he needs the exercise. I should have gone with him but the wind is strong and quite nippy at times. Besides, I think if I wanted to walk around and deliver cards from house to house that I’d apply for a job with the Royal Mail Service and get paid for it.

On a related note, there are no mailboxes at the kerb (curb) here. Most homes have mail slots in the door and the carrier simply rings the doorbell if he has a package that won’t fit through. Having access to these (as well as not having to talk to each recipient individually) also speeds up the church’s Easter and other holiday card delivery process.

He’s also cleaned the treads of my shoes from yesterday’s “cow patty” incident and is outside now picking up trash that has blown into the driveway and front garden (yard). All this before 10a.m.! I find such a display of energy amazing. I can sit and watch it all day without being tempted to join in.

10:45 a.m.: Derek arrived for tea and a visit as promised. Richard wasn’t very pleased because he brought a tape measure and brackets to put up a shelf for the birthday microwave gift that wasn’t wanted in the beginning. I “tactfully” excused myself and went to my bedroom to pack my books and shoes.

I don’t know how they sorted things out but there was no extra shelf in the kitchen when I went down for lunch and Derek took the brackets home with him when he left at 12:15. (Sometimes it’s better not to ask.) I’m not sure how they stay friends. Derek is nice enough but he would drive me nuts if I had to be around him all the time. He gets way too fixated on things!

3:00 p.m.: It’s only about half a mile but with the sky looking ominous, we decided to forgo the walk and drive to All Saints Church for me to take pictures. Regretfully, it was locked so I didn’t get any shots of the interior. I’m sorry I didn’t do this earlier. It’s a beautiful old church, about 3-400 years old, and is absolutely gorgeous inside and out.

The sun was shining when we left the house but the dark clouds soon rolled in and by the time we got back 15-20 minutes later, a hard rain and wind had begun. The sun came back out just a few minutes later. It’s been like that all day, raining one minute, sunny the next. Hopefully, it will subside for good before we go out to eat tonight and visit Julie and family afterwards.

I’m also hoping it won’t be a rainy drive to the airport tomorrow. These motorways are narrow and there are a lot of accidents because people drive so fast on them. (Sounds familiar except Interstate roads in the U.S are wider.)

Evening: We had dinner at Prezzo, an Italian restaurant located near Town Centre and right on the edge of River Chelmer. The atmosphere was quite relaxing and the inside was sparkling clean. There are tables outside as well but with the weather being so mercurial, we elected to sit inside. Richard had a chicken pasta dish he said was very good and I had Bruschetta and Risotto Mediterraneo.

The Bruschetta was made with sliced cherry tomatoes marinated with fresh basil, red onion and garlic served on baked focaccia bread and the Risotto Mediterraneo was risotto with tiger prawns and petit pois (peas) in creamy saffron sauce. Fantastic! I’ve noticed saffron is used in a lot of dishes here and I’ve enjoyed it. I’m going to miss this great food. The weather cooperated too and we visited with Julie, Ian, Joseph and Amelia for about an hour before heading home.

Late evening: We passed on dessert at Prezzo’s but I think I hear an Eccles Cake calling my name. I’m trying to resist but afraid I will lose this battle if I don’t go to bed soon. This is yet another new dish for me and, unfortunately, I like it as much as many of the other new things I’ve tried.

I’m not ready to leave but don’t want to overstay my welcome either so my travel clothes are laid out and I’ve gotten all my things together except for the stuff I will need to use in the morning. So far I’ve resisted the urge for the Eccles Cake so I’d better turn in before it calls so loudly that I can’t ignore it.

*********

Salford City Council’s recipe for Eccles Cakes

Ingredients:
500g flaky pastry
25g melted butter
Nutmeg
50g candied peel
100g sugar
200g currants

Method: Pre-heat your oven to 425°F/220°C. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and butter and cook over a medium heat until melted. Off the heat, add currants, candied peel, nutmeg and allspice.

On a lightly floured surface, roll the pastry thinly and cut into rounds of about half a centimetre thickness and 10cm diameter. Place a small spoonful of filling onto centre of each pastry circle. Dampen the edges of the pastry and draw the edges together over the fruit and pinch to seal.

Turn over and press gently with a rolling pin to flatten the cakes. Flatten and snip a V in the top with scissors. Place on a baking tray, brush with water and sprinkle with a little extra sugar. Bake in a hot oven for 15—20 minutes (425°f/220°c), or until lightly browned round the edges. Place on a wire rack and allow to cool. Preparation time: 20 minutes.

NOTE: Some recipes call for using Puff Pastry sheets and some add cinnamon as well as nutmeg but I think this is probably closer to the original cakes baked more than 200 years ago. The Eccles cake I had in the UK was purchased at Marks & Spencer but they are simple to make at home. You can follow this simple recipe and/or add seasonings according to your taste.

Saffron and Shrimp Risotto

1/2 t. saffron threads
1/4 c. dry white wine
1 lb. medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, shells reserved
2 T. unsalted butter
1 small onion, finely chopped
1-1/2 c. Arborio rice
2 ripe plum tomatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a small non-reactive saucepan, warm the saffron and wine over moderate heat for one minute. Place shrimp shells in a pan with 6-1/2 cups of water and boil over high heat for 5 minutes. Strain stock into a medium saucepan and keep hot over moderately low heat.

In a large non-reactive saucepan, melt 1-1/2 T. of the butter over high heat. Add the shrimp and cook, stirring, until just opaque, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate. Add onion and the remaining 1/2 T. butter to the pan and cook over moderately high heat until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice, add saffron liquid and boil until liquid is almost completely evaporated.

Add one cup of hot shrimp stock or just enough to form a thin veil over the rice. Gently boil rice, stirring, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat this procedure, adding the hot stock one cup at a time, until it is all used and the rice is tender but firm. Add shrimp and cook just to warm through. Fold in tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Serve at once. Serves 4.

I could not find a recipe for the Risotto Mediterraneo like I had but this sounds very similar. If you wish, fold in 3/4—1 c. steamed green peas to make it even more authentic. The following recipe for Bruschetta is also very similar to the one served at Prezzo’s.

Cherry Tomato Bruschetta

16-18 oz. cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion, sliced
2 t. fresh basil, sliced
2 T. red wine vinegar
8 slices Focacia bread
1 clove fresh garlic, halved
Extra virgin olive oil
1 T. sea salt
Cracked pepper to taste
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and set aside. Combine onion, shredded basil and red wine vinegar in a bowl and add tomatoes. Allow to marinate at least half an hour or longer.

Toast bread slices. After toasting, rub each slice with the open side of the cut garlic halves and arrange each slice on a small white serving plate.

Using a tablespoon, place equal amounts of tomato mixture onto each slice and drizzle a little olive oil over each heaped tomato mixture. Sprinkle with salt and add pepper to taste.

No comments: