Sunday, August 16, 2009

Back in the fold

I'm back home and happy to be here. I admit to waving the white flag, tossing in the towel, etc. and leaving town just before 3:00 yesterday afternoon. Crowds were already filling the streets even though the gates were not scheduled to open until 5 p.m. and I knew it was only going to get worse. That, plus Interstate closings, Def Leppard, Steeley Dan, a huge hair show downtown, and heaven only knows what else going on made the decision for me. I'd turned down a dinner invitation the week before but when I was re-invited yesterday morning, I decided it wasn't such a bad idea after all and jumped right on it before it could be rescinded. Thankfully, the invitation time was open and it didn't take much encouragement for me to get down there early. Actually none at all!

And no, I don't have a secretly repressed obsession with the Beatles. Even though they were definitely a big part of my generation, I've never been one of those screaming, fainting, pantie-tossing females who would trample their own grandmother just to catch a tiny glimpse of them. If I had been, even the 20-minute downpour during mid concert could not have driven me out before the concert was over but the lightning probably would have. It didn't rain south of town where I was but I was updated by someone who had enough courage to stay here. Note that he didn't go down to the park either but probably could hear it from his balcony if he had wanted to listen.

Thirtysomething has two school open houses this afternoon: one for her class and one for Little Bit's class. She shouldn't have any trouble sleeping tonight for sure! Maybe she will catch us up when she catches her breath.

No comments: