Saturday, August 8, 2009

Is this petty?

A small quibble with Roo's kindergarten experience thus far. Yesterday, I was looking through the folder of papers she brought home. On one was an exercise in cutting and pasting basic shapes into their respective boxes. Well, I started looking at it and it wasn't correct: there were triangles where there were supposed to be squares, circles were there were supposed to be triangles, etc. Despite it being wrong, there was a nice sticker at the top of the page, I suppose from the teachers. I asked Roo if the teachers gave her directions and showed her how it was supposed to be (she can't read the shape words yet, but it had examples at the top of the columns). That went nowhere, since she kind of shrugged and wasn't really able to tell me, but then she said, "That's okay, Mom, I got a sticker anyway."

Well, that did it. Daddy and I made her redo it correctly and told her that she didn't deserve a sticker for incorrect work and we want her to do her best, and that even if she does get a sticker from the teacher that when we see work she didn't do right, she's going to do it over until it is. Not trying to get too serious here in Kindergarten, but come on. I can see a sticker for working really hard on a drawing or something subjective like that, but not for work that's clearly incorrect. Why wasn't one of the teachers circulating and noticing that she wasn't doing it right and steering her on the right path? Hopefully, this is not a precedent for the rest of the year. I'm not saying anything now, but am keeping the eyes and ears open b/c I want my daughter to set a higher standard for herself and not just settle.

Okay, I'm off the soapbox now.

No comments: