Wednesday, August 26, 2009

No wonder!

Please excuse my brief rant:

Perusing the August breakfast menu for Roo's school after she requested eating breakfast there, I came to the conclusion that, while poor food options in schools may not be solely responsible for the obesity epidemic among our children, it is DEFINITELY a factor. Consider these "yummy" options: Breakfast Bun, Super Donuts, Scooby Doo Graham Snacks. What the H*%$ is THIS all about? The only other remotely healthy menus listed for this month are sausage and chicken biscuits and breakfast burritos. My question is how can they get by with feeding children this crap? The only answer I have is that apparently, even though they are supposed to comply with the Dept. of Agriculture's food exchanges, a breakfast bun and Super Donut apparently fit their definition of a grain. Not ever having had a child in a public school district, I don't know if these is as a result of the economy (unhealthy food is often cheaper), but I have a hard time believing there are no other fairly low-cost options. How about Mini-Wheats, oatmeal, or some other whole grains? Roo's most frequent breakfast is Cream of Wheat or peanut butter toast and milk and it's not terribly expensive. I understand not offering pb since there are so many allergies to it, but I am just baffled and, frankly, horrified to think about children chowing down on these empty calories and then attempting to go to class and learn. It makes me want to SCREAM!!

1 comment:

Thirtysomethingmama said...

BTW, just in case you wondered, the lunch menu isn't much better.....