Saturday, May 16, 2009

"Saturday in the Park..."

Chicago had it right when they said every day in the park is like the fourth of July. It's amazing how many different things you see all time in Piedmont but it seems Saturday brings even more to watch and/or enjoy.

The usual runners, walkers, bikers, and the Saturday green market with items from craft to free chair massages to plants, eggs, and prepared food were present as usual, all contributing to the colorful panorama.

When I first stepped into the park this morning though, I heard very loud voices counting down from 10-1 over and over. As I drew closer, I saw the source. Close to 100 people on the still very wet grass were being led in boot camp style exercises. (I know this because "boot camp" was part of the inscription on the leaders' t-shirts.)

Just a little further down the path was the much quieter, weekly yoga class being held on the dock this time. I'm pretty sure it was to escape the wet grass but what do I know? I have to admire all those people getting up so early to work so hard, especially on weekends.

I stopped at the edge of the dock for a few minutes where a mama duck was standing, looking out over the lake. She didn't move more than a couple of inches when I walked up beside her. The reason became apparent when all of a sudden, baby ducks shot out from under the dock and started looking for food. Some of this flock was missing from when I last saw them on Thursday. I'm guessing predators might have gotten to them. Further down the side of the lake, there were more babies being guarded by several adults this time so that makes me think something is definitely searching for fresh baby ducks for their menu.

The eight Canadian goslings I see on a regular basis were still intact, not only being guarded by the three regular adults this morning but several more were on sentry duty too. When I see this, I think it would be wonderful if everyone looked after their children as well. It really does 'take a village.'

No comments: