Wednesday, May 27, 2009

You really need to contribute!

Cuz, You really need to start contributing to this blog instead of just reading it. You have some great stories and I know other moms would enjoy reading them. I probably knew this but over the years had forgotten and it's still pretty funny anyway. I know Little Bit's mom really appreciates it, especially since her fever spiked again last night. Just hold out breath hoping it's down for good now.

(Reprinted without permission)
Good morning everyone, so sorry to hear that ******** is even sicker on top of you all being "under the weather!" One tends to get nostalgic about their child (ren)'s growing up as the years go by, but I can assure you, *****, that your blog notes remind me of the not-so-wonderful times of being a mom to a toddler. It's funny how very small things can assume so much importance, like going to Target with no kids in tow, or even like being sick on your own as an adult and getting to just lie around and take your meds and sleep and watch trashy TV until you feel better. Warning: upcoming "back in the day" story: I remember when I had planned recuperation from a fairly minor scheduled surgery like it was a club Med vacation. ******** was in school, probably 2nd or 3rd grade, and I had books and snacks stockpiled and mother had taped some old Perry Mason shows (which we both loved) for me to watch and I was truly LOOKING FORWARD to post-surgery as a wonderful peaceful quiet rest time off work and at home alone for the most part with ******* at work and ******** at school. Visions of blissful quiet peaceful solitude filled my head, making going through the surgery just a blip on the way to paradise. On the Saturday, the day after surgery, and just before I was released to go home, mother and daddy and ******* had entertained ******** and had taken him to some fall festivals and on errands and basically all over town. Then ******* brought him up to visit me. I asked in absolute HORROR, "What's that all over my child?" The three of them responded quite innocently and completely unaware, "What are you talking about?" He was covered COMPLETELY in a red bumpy rash and of course, it was the chicken pox!! He had to be out of school for a week and I spent my much-anticipated week off of recovery time putting calamine lotion on about two million little red itchy bumps (he had them from the top of his head to the soles of his feet including all body parts in between, even inside his ears) using a different Q-tip for each one as instructed by the pediatrician to prevent them spreading (Where else could they spread to?), sitting on the toilet beside the tub holding onto my incision while supervising him in multiple Aveeno oatmeal baths, reading Transformer books, handing out Benadryl and Tylenol, saying "Try not to scratch," and watching hundreds of cartoons of his choice. Then when he went back to school, it was back to work for me, books unread, movies unwatched, sleep unslept, quiet alone time unspent. We never figured out where he caught them from and I don't know to this day how many kids he may have infected during his Saturday outings. No chicken pox shots in those days. Ah, memories------Hang in there! I'm hoping you all feel better VERY SOON!
Love, *******

No comments: