Friday, July 24, 2009

Horses and a few Jack****es

Just back from a quick run to McRae to get my hair done. Should definitely have not planned that on a Friday! The drive down was uneventful but I think it was just prep for northbound Friday afternoon traffic etc. The first "event" wasn't exactly traffic related but could have resulted in a terrible traffic accident.

About 20 miles into the drive home, a horse grazing beside 441 turned out not to be tethered and lunged out into my lane about the time I got abreast of this errant creature. Luckily, no one was coming and I was able to swerve and miss him/her (didn't have time to check which). I thought after that, the rest of the drive had to be easier. Wrong!

In addition to normal Friday bedlam as well as a few accidents, I don't think I've even seen as many stalled/broken down vehicles on the road in that short a drive. Does anyone check their cars to see if they're road worthy anymore?!?

Finally got past those backups but one final accident had the shoulder blocked and traffic crawling just before my exit and I wound up taking an alternate one. Got home and caught my breath before heading out again to fill a prescription for eye drops. Had to go three places to find them and am feeling a bit wrung out. I'm definitely staying in for the foreseeable future!

I had to get back to prepare refreshments for Sunday School class this weekend so at least the apartment is smelling very good right now. Banana bars with black walnuts have a very enticing aroma!

4 comments:

Thirtysomethingmama said...

In this economy, those poor people broken down/stalled by the interstate probably didn't have the money to check if their cars were road-worthy!

Life After 60 said...

Whatever happened to staying at home? I know some of these things cannot be avoided but just looking at some of these vehicles tells you the owners should not risk being on a busy interstate on a weekend, no less.

Thirtysomethingmama said...

Maybe working at the minimum wage job they can't afford to lose? Don't be too judgmental ;-)

Life After 60 said...

Okay, Pollyanna. You win.