Monday, January 4, 2010

I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me

Okay, maybe my germaphobia/paranoia is going too far. Since having a little one that seems to catch everything that comes down the pike, I have become a most valued consumer of handi-wipes, Lysol, and the like. After this latest nasty bout with pneumonia and with H1N1 and other stuff currently circulating, I have been very cautious about taking her around many people, because I have lived long enough to discover that many times people don't use their God-given common sense and keep themselves and their children home when they're sick. Call me crazy, but deal with a child that wheezes with the slightest cold and doesn't sleep when she is sick and spend hundreds of dollars a month on doctor bills and medicine because your insurance is crap and she's allergic to penicillin so her antibiotic options are limited, and you may change your tune.

Anyway, I did make an exception and we took the girls to see the Princess and the Frog, Little Bit's first movie and to Waffle House for supper afterwards. All I can say is, I'm dangerous with my pocket Lysol. I did get some strange looks from those around us in the theater, as well as a "What's that smell?" from our waitress. I had to confess that it was my handy dandy pocket Lysol that I used to disinfect the table as well as, um, all the condiments there. And the seats. What can I say...I know we're not the only weirdos that have ever frequented WH.

Feeling emboldened by not catching a bug there, I took the girls to Mass on Saturday evening. Of course, everyone holds hands and shakes them during the "Peace be with you" bit, but I was prepared with my pocket-size hand sanitizer. Alas, before I could cover the girls' hands with it, Little Bit, who had not had her hands anywhere near her face the entire time, decided to shove both sets of fingers IN HER MOUTH. I suppose that just goes to show, you cannot control everything, no matter how hard you try. It takes one shoving of fingers in the mouth (or nose), one neighbor coughing on a dollhouse and your kid touching it and contracting a virus, one whatever. I just have to get a grip and do what I can and calm down about the rest, I suppose.

1 comment:

Life After 60 said...

It's a miracle you and your brother survived without all this new-fangled stuff. :-)