Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Two lessons

If I’ve learned nothing else in my life, I do know this. There are two arguments you cannot win: politics and religion. I do not discuss either and I do not inflict my opinion on anyone else.

I'm sure some are wondering what prompted this. It's just that lately everywhere I go it seems someone is raging about politics, even on Facebook. I'm of the opinion that if you cannot do better, be careful with your criticism. And if someone does not respond when you keep talking about a subject, realize they really, really do not want to hear/discuss it.

I like living in my new place but I unknowingly went from a quite liberal neighborhood to a hotbed of Republican ultraconservatism. I really do like my friends here, just wish they could find something else to talk about besides politics and money (indirectly). I've never joined in any of these discussions so I guess they are not sure what to make of me. Guess they will have to keep wondering!

To any of my Facebook friends reading this, I hope you don't take offense but I have wonder where all this religious fervor was when times were not so tough economically. When I look at my page sometimes, I wonder if I've accidentally strayed into a “tent” revival. I hate hiding anyone on my friends list but it has come to that when that is poltiics and religious are all a person posts. Sadly, it often makes me miss keeping up with someone I do care about.

This is not a judgment of anyone in particular but I think it gives religion a bad name when people you know are running around, swapping spouses, and violating other tenets of the Bible they are so fond of quoting suddenly become oh-so pious. I’m not really sure I want them to waste God’s time praying for me!

No comments: