Saturday, September 20, 2008

One Bright Note At Least

It seems my "grand" plans have managed to fall through yet again. With my track record, I suppose I really shouldn't be surprised. Things rarely seem to go right for me in this little piece of #%**- on-earth I have the misfortune to inhabit. (Well, I do still have Barry White and that makes it a little more bearable.)

I will be in Atlanta again next week and plan to go by and beg apartment management to find a place for me as soon as possible. I'm not too proud to grovel if it will help!

One bright note: The Fayette Front Page (http://www.fayettefrontpage.com/index.html) featured a letter from me in their online edition today. I was so glad they chose to run my subtle little dig at some of the lily-white, uptight populace there that I wanted to share, so I've pasted it below. Enjoy :)


Visitor Appreciates Music and Hospitality

9/20/08 I had the privilege of attending the Rita Coolidge concert at The Villages Amphitheater last weekend and can honestly say it was one of the best I’ve ever seen. The opening act, Wilson Braswell Band, was also outstanding.

Your city is fortunate to have such a wonderful venue to showcase talents like these. This was my second time there and I plan to come back as often as I can next season.

The only disappointment I felt during the evening was when Ms. Coolidge sang the Cherokee National Anthem, “Amazing Grace” in native Cherokee. It was so hauntingly beautiful that one couldn't help being deeply touched. With your area so obviously patriotic though, I was taken quite by surprise when no one stood with the lone man who came all the way from NYC just to be there.

I know if the “Star Spangled Banner” had been played, many would have taken offense if he had not risen to his feet. After a few seconds, I made the decision to stand beside him and am very proud that I did. They really were the first Americans, you know, and they deserve the same respect we expect from them.

Everyone I met was extremely friendly and welcoming and I appreciate all the courtesies extended my way. That was the only flaw in an otherwise great evening and I am looking forward enthusiastically to next year’s lineup.

No comments: