Monday, December 8, 2008

Great Day

I think that last statement could be applicable to both humans and objects alike.

Today was one of those really nice, nice days, and I say that without a hint of sarcasm. DH and I took the girls to the zoo since we have a current membership. I packed peanut butter sandwiches and drinks for a picnic, and I had some passes for a couple of free rides on the train and carousel, so we figured the only money we'd have to spend would be the gas to get there.

There was hardly anyone there, which I initially attributed to the temperature, which was only in the high 40s. Turns out, they were having a party for the newest panda cub and everyone was there. We took our time at the exhibits and the girls had a blast. The animals came much closer to us than usual, and we were able to take our time. We got to the panda exhibit when the party was almost over, and got free Chinese food, panda cookies, and hot cocoa. I went back and told the lady thank you for the Chinese food, and she gave me two more cartons to take home!
We had such a good time, and it was a morale boost we desperately needed.

Then, this afternoon, DH and I took turns giving blood at the local drive. On one hand, it was a little rough because they missed the vein on my arm (again like last time, but not nearly as bad), but they got it together and it was okay. The fun part was I won a cool T-shirt for answering a Christmas trivia question correctly. I am all about the free stuff these days...it makes me inordinately happy!

Anyhow, just a really great day all around. I'm looking at my retro Christmas stuff and family and just so thankful for all that we have, and for having days like today to make memories.

1 comment:

Life After 60 said...

All that emphasis on good manners paid off once again. I'd be willing to wager that very few people took time to thank the lady for the Chinese food indirectly, much less taking time to do it individually. Too many times people furnishing and/or serving things at events like this go unrecognized and I'm sure it meant a lot to be acknowledged personally.