Thursday, January 1, 2009

Looking back and forward

Well, we are back from our trip to Louisiana and somewhat still recovering. We decided to be very daring and attempt and all-night drive home and it was surprisingly successful. I think DH and I are the ones suffering the most ill effects since we're still tired. It actually felt kind of exciting to drive all night. I volunteered to do most of it, since I enjoyed having more than two seconds of consecutive silence.

It was a good trip but had some pretty tense moments. DH's grandfather is not very patient these days and although I know he loves the children, he has a pretty short and unpredictable fuse with them. I thought it was just the dementia, but according to the rest of the family he has always been like this. Apparently, the dementia has just kicked it up a notch and made it more intense. It was distressing to me since I've never seen this side, and sad as well. The girls had a good time, but I think we're all relieved to be home and have our own "stuff" around us.

We celebrated the New Year by trying to get some sleep. We were invited to a neighbor's party and were considering asking Life if she'd mind babysitting, but decided not to since we were too exhausted to enjoy it anyway. We made it back so much earlier than we thought we had already declined the invitation besides. Glad I didn't ask since she sounds like she had a good time meeting and greeting with neighbors, anyway ;-)

My wish is happiness, health, and love for everyone in the New Year. I hope with the new presidency that our country is on the road to some positive changes for us and for our planet.

BTW, this is a very funny commentary by Robin Williams on Obama, etc., if you have ten minutes to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puMz1Q3E000

No comments: